You are an adventurer of the energy industry. You often hike mountains and traverse countryside as part of a specialized crew responsible for collecting the geophysical data used in exploration. You’re physically fit and you like nature and travel; this is your world.
Seismic labourers assist in various aspects in the four phases of seismic operations: surveying, line clearing, seismic drilling and data acquisition and recording. They are also instrumental in supporting more specialized positions on the crews. This occupation is considered an entry-level position. Seismic labourers often develop on-the-job skills and are provided training that allows for movement into higher skilled or more responsible positions.
The typical roles in this occupation include:
- Chainer’s assistants help measure, map and locate drilling locations.
- Surveyor’s assistants help collect and process survey readings.
- Locator’s assistants help find and document all buried utilities.
- Packers clear debris from seismic lines and help move equipment.
- Driller’s helpers assist with drilling holes and placing charges.
- Lineworkers place, remove, load and unload all seismic recording equipment.
I'm interested in a career in
- Sub-sector Oil and gas services, Offshore
- Environment Primarily outdoor work
- Average Salary $41,000 to $67,500
- Education Grade 10
- Career Demand Growing
In this occupation activities may include:
- Placing flags on marks on the cable
- Loading dynamite into shot holes
- Helping find, track and mark pipelines, cables and buried utilities
- Helping the Driller as required
- Clearing debris on seismic lines to ensure the line is accessible for others that follow
- Loading and unloading seismic equipment from seismic line vehicles or heli-bags.
- A high school diploma is preferred by employers but not necessary.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Oilfield driver awarenss
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV)
- A valid driver’s licence and a clean driving record may be required, depending on the company and role
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
- Minimal or no travel
- Shiftwork/variable work hours
- Primarily outdoor work
- Physical work
- Safety-sensitive environment
- Work away from home/in camps
You have physical stamina and can navigate remote landscapes.
- Active listening
- Service orientation
- Attention to detail
- Mechanical knowledge
- Public safety and security knowledge
- Judgment and decision making
- Service orientation
- Planning and organization
- Operation monitoring
- Operation and control
- Document use
- Critical thinking