You bring mechanical aptitude to well services which is a great place to start in the energy industry. Well services operators are critical to drilling and producing oil and natural gas wells. You assist with well service equipment and you get to learn the ropes of the industry at the same time.
Well services labourers are an entry-level role into a variety of well services occupations.
Well services labourers check and load tools and equipment and prepare work sites. They inspect, clean, repair and maintain tools and vehicles and may drive trucks or other equipment. These workers also provide general assistance to well service operators.
Transferability information for this occupation is available on the Oil and gas drilling, servicing and related labourers.
I'm interested in a career in
- Sub-sector Oil and gas services
- Environment Primarily indoor/office work
- Average Salary $43,000 to $70,000
- Education Grade 10
- Career Demand Growing
In this occupation activities may include:
- Preparing, checking and loading tools and equipment as require
- Using specialized snubbing equipment (used for wells under pressure) to insert or remove drill pipe, tubing or specialized equipment into or from a well
- Assisting in the assembly or equipment and tools
- Supporting rig-up and rig-down operations
- Assisting drivers and operators of pipeline transportation equipment
- Providing general assistance with pre-and post-job operations
- A high school diploma (or equivalent) is typically preferred. Basic mechanical skills are an asset.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive®
- Oilfield driver awareness
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Class 1 licence (with air break endorsement) and a clean driving record are required
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
Nature of work and environment conditions specific to oil and natural gas include:
- Minimal or no travel
- Shiftwork/variable work hours
- Primarily indoor/office work
- Physical work
- Work away from home/in camps
Your mechanical aptitude allows you to understand how a tool is functioning when, at times, you are unable to see it. You’re good at receiving direction and eager to learn how the industry works.
- Service orientation
- Attention to detail
- Mechanical knowledge
- Public safety and security knowledge
- Active listening
- Repairing equipment
- Quality control analysis
- Equipment maintenance
- Operation monitoring
- Critical thinking