- Measurement While Drilling (MWD) Specialist
- NOC #8232
Measurement While Drilling (MWD) Specialist
You act as a guide. As a measurement while drilling specialist, you ensure the drilling of an oil or natural gas well stays on target. You measure the incline of the drill, the depth of the drill and the azimuth, or direction, of the drill to develop a three-dimensional plot of a wellbore. You provide real-time data during the drilling operation, allowing Directional Drillers to properly steer a drill. Interested? Then let’s drill down further.
Measurement while drilling (MWD) specialists collect and interpret data that measures the trajectory of a horizontal oil or gas well as it is being drilled. Information provided by MWD specialists provides decision-making support and allows directional drillers to steer the drilling operation and conform to a drilling plan.
MWD specialists must be able to lift the MWD tool, safely rig in and operate the equipment, perform day-to-day inspections, servicing and maintenance of equipment, and complete all required paperwork accurately and on time.
I'm interested in a career in
- Sub-sector Oil and gas services
- Environment Primarily outdoor work
- Average Salary $51,000 to $94,000
- Education Post-secondary diploma
- Career Demand Growing
In this occupation activities may include:
- Loading MWD equipment on vehicles in accordance with applicable regulations
- Assembling MWD tools as part of the bottom hole assembly (BHA)
- Interpreting MWD data and providing to geologists, drillers, management or the client, as required
- Identifying, preventing and reporting potential hazards
- Conducting post-operations tests once equipment is pulled out of the wellbore
- A post-secondary diploma in an applied science, engineering, geology, petroleum or related discipline is typically required. Computer literacy is also required.
- Standard and emergency first aid
- H2S Alive
- Class 5 driver’s licence and a clean driving record
- Ability to pass a pre-employment physical assessment and drug test
- Minimal or no travel
- Shiftwork/variable work hours
- Primarily outdoor work
- Physical work
- Safety-sensitive environment
- Work away from home/in camps
You have an aptitude for technology and enjoy measuring data.
- Computer use
- Document use
- Critical thinking
- Monitoring operations
- Installing equipment
- Attention to detail
- Controlling operations
- Active listening